Saturday, February 28, 2009

Time Machine Fail = Nicke Screwed

It's been around 30 days since the last time I backed up my Mac. If I was an outside reader of this post I'd be saying aloud "Why the hell would you not back up your Mac!? It's so simple in Leopard! All you have to do is plug in your external drive and voila!, Time Machine takes care of the rest!"

Well you know what, Time Machine has its priorities screwed up. I have a 160 gb HDD which actually has around 148 gb of storage on it. My Time Machine partition on my external actually has 160 gb.

Let's do the math: 160 gb > 148 gb => (Time Machine Storage) > (Anything I will ever store on my HDD. EVER.)

Yet for some reason every time I backup Time Machine tells me that it needs 20 more gb of space to back up my disk. How can this be!? Don't I have more than enough space to hold all of my data?

Apparently not, as Time Machine likes to keep older versions on my files, which takes up extra space.

Now Apple, let's think about this, shouldn't Time Machine delete my old files to make room for my new ones? Me thinks yes.

I'll probably have to force Time Machine to completely redo my backup now. And last time TM had a hiccup in backing up my Macbook my HDD died. Let's hope that doesn't happen again.

No comments:

Post a Comment