Tuesday, April 28, 2009

It's late

It might be because I didn't sleep last night and it's currently 3:23 in the morning on the day after an all nighter, but I have never felt more inspired by human achievement than from this article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/27/technology/27jeopardy.html?ref=technology

I have never felt more proud about my connections with IBM (being a former employee, having family work there, living in an IBM-based town) than from that article. Seriously, it makes me wish I majored in computer science and logic systems or whatever just so I could work on something like that.

It's weird though, since it's not like IBM is trying to make actual artificial intelligence. In essence all they're trying to do is create an information synthesizer: the computer only takes in an input question and spits out an answer; it never thinks on its own.

But I feel like this is a huge step for computers and creating computers that can truly interact with people. And oddly I've never felt more proud of being connected with IBM.

No comments:

Post a Comment